New Doom Forums  
Doom 2 on vista???? - New Doom Forums
Go Back   New Doom Forums > NEW DOOM > DOOM Series

Old March 27th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #1
landymanrob
Commander Keen

Doom 2 on vista????

Hi all. first let me say great site. i am looking for help/advice. tried to play doom 2 on my vista machine, but all i get is the play game box appear and the music starts (and wont stop even with the disk out!!!!) is this an issue with vista? used to work on my old machine pent 2 333. any help appreciated .
Rob
landymanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #2
DaniJ

I would suggest using a port. For example, Doomsday works under Vista.
DaniJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Grazza

You might want to try Dosbox (and run Doom2.exe under that), though I'm not 100% sure how even Dosbox runs under Vista.
Grazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #4
ReX
Commander Keen

Another alternative is Chocolate DooM, which tries to retain the look and feel of the original DooM/2 (including its limitations) while being compatible with the various incarnations of MS Windows. I don't know if it will work on Windows Vista, but it works on Win XP.
ReX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #5
landymanrob
Commander Keen

Thanks for the answers guys. not sure what thay all mean but i have something to go on. maybe i will have to get doom3 and play that!
landymanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #6
ReX
Commander Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by landymanrob
Thanks for the answers guys. not sure what thay all mean ....
The original DooM and DooM2 were created for use on MS DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System). With the advent of Windows, DooM could only be played in a DOS window or if the computer was booted to DOS. This applied to v3.1, Win95, Win98, WinME, and Win2000. With the introduction of WinXP (and now WinVista) DooM was not supported any more, unless you booted your computer to DOS or used a DOS emulator. The obvious solution for playing DooM was to use a source port, such as jDooM, ZDooM, BooM, Legacy, Edge, Vavoom, etc., all of which work just great on WinXP. However, these source ports sometimes changed the look and feel of the game, and many did away with the limitations of the original game. A source port such as Chocolate DooM works on WinXP, while retaining the look, feel, and limitations of the original DooM/2.
ReX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #7
LordRaven
Commander Keen

I suggest Zdoom.
Or you could try Eternity wich is another great port and still has the retro feeling of Doom

Quote:
With the introduction of WinXP (and now WinVista) DooM was not supported any more, unless you booted your computer to DOS or used a DOS emulator.
I have Dos on my XP (Without having to run my computer in Dos mode) and I can run Doom and something like 60% of the Dos programs without needing an emulator.
Though maybe that was added
LordRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #8
g6672D

OpenGL is not included with Vista. Or rather, it's in a crippled state. So if you have a card without a new driver (for example a GeForce4) you may not be able to run ports like Doom Legacy and GZDoom in GL mode.

In those cases, you MAY be able to use a Windows XP graphics driver. However, it will wreak havoc with some graphical effects (Media Center and Aero for example). Therefore, make sure you have a system restore point.

Direct3D doesn't seem to have the same affliction though. Half-Life 2 works fine for me. jDoom (D3D) too.
g6672D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Ancient
Commander Keen

Well, my problems was that doom would load and all but it'd be super tiny and was black and white.
So I went into shortcut properites, clicked compatablility tab.
checked run as adiministrator, display 256 color, run with 650x650 and checked run by OS: windows 95.
Worked just fine after that.
Played it through 15 levels. Talk about playing a good game while taking a break from work.
DOOM II Rocks.
Ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #10
banana
Commander Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
Well, my problems was that doom would load and all but it'd be super tiny and was black and white.
So I went into shortcut properites, clicked compatablility tab.
checked run as adiministrator, display 256 color, run with 650x650 and checked run by OS: windows 95.
Worked just fine after that.
Played it through 15 levels. Talk about playing a good game while taking a break from work.
DOOM II Rocks.
Hell yeah DOOM II Rocks lol just a shame that I can't get it to work with vista still cos that is what we have at work so i can't play it on my lunch

Apart from that its a kickarse game!!
banana is offline   Reply With Quote