New Doom Forums  
jDoom Environment Pack (jDEP) - New Doom Forums
Go Back   New Doom Forums > Source Ports > Doomsday > Resources

Old January 7th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #1
Slide
Commander Keen

jDoom Environment Pack (jDEP)

The jDoom Environment Pack (jDEP) is an addon for jDoom that provides settings for fog and Sky boxes for all the original Doom levels (Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom).

Each sky box consists of a cube that encompasses the entire level, with a texture on each of its (six) interior surfaces these textures make pretty good illusion of an 360 panoramic environment. If you don't like the supplied fog settings just apply the no fog patch and the fog will be turned off by default. If you're lights glare when fog is on use the fog lights patch by Gamedude to fix this behaviour.

Credits: Slide (Main Pack, Skyboxes, Fog), Dani (md2 file), Technomancer (Doom 2 Fog, Doom TNT Fog) , Gamedude (Fog Lights patch).

Download here

Screenshots

Last edited by KuriKai; February 16th, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Doom_Dude
Spazztronik

Keep up the good work Slide.
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:25 AM   #3
ravenlot

Yeah, I really like your work too. Everything looks sharp.

I do have a question. Sometimes I like to turn off the models in Doomsday to make it look much like Doom did originally. But when I do that, I think one the jDEP images causes a problem for the armor. You know how lighting from the armor pickup blinks? Well, it seems to alternate images between those from the WAD file and those from the jDEP, I think. Do you know how to disable that in Kickstart without disabling all the graphics from the jDEP? It's not a big deal but I did notice it.

Another thing crossed my mind only because I like to tweak things. Don't think of it as a request because it's not even remotely important. I was thinking about messing with the jDEP to see if it were possible to add yet another title screen to the package. Doom Shareware had a title picture that was just like the retail title picture except at the bottom of the picture, it had some information about shareware and ordering the game. I kinda wanted to alter it to reflect DOOM's shareware roots. When I figure out this whole DED system out, perhaps I'll try doing that.

Anyway, thanks for sharing all your hard work.
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #4
KuriKai

you cant cause they use the same images

and i wanted to do the same thing
i just put the demo pic into the jdui.pk3
in here
data/jdoom/patches/doom1-share/titlepic.png
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #5
ravenlot

Too bad about the first issue but it's nice to hear that's it's easy to replace the shareware title pic.

I guess it's time to make my own interpretation of the original Doom Shareware title pic.
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:27 AM   #6
Sin4U

hmm.. Ive also noticed that... (the first one) Isnt that the HUD pack (not the status bar, the full screen one) not jDEP? or were those added? It also does it with the keys, noticably, the rocket looks quite good, actually, and so does the bullet pack, and theres the health pack too. Normally this isnt noticable, but I would like a fix (check box to disable patch replacement of world sprites? or a hud subdir somewhere)
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:58 AM   #7
ravenlot

Sin4U, you know what you're right. I was thinking about the hud pack (jDUI) not jDEP, though that's also cool as well.

Let me just close the off topic subject by saying I just tried adding my own version of the Doomshare title pic using image in the jDUI pak and adding the shareware bar. It matches the size and shape of the original fonts and looks great to me. I placed them into the jDUI pak that I downloaded and it works great.

Last edited by ravenlot; January 8th, 2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old January 8th, 2004, 04:58 AM   #8
Slide
Commander Keen

Hmm I was a little confused there for a while imagining how a skybox texture could be replacing a armour sprite... anyway can we move this over to the right thread now?
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #9
Slide
Commander Keen

Ok it's been a long time coming but here is the patch to remove fog from the jDEP - I'll be honest it's late and I haven't fully tested this so tell me if it doesn't work (don't worry it won't screw up your installation or anything). I've just found my FTP server is done at the mo - so I'll post the link now and you may have to try again later if the file can't be found - it will turn up sooner or later.

Download jDEP No Fog patch

Edit:

The file is up now

Last edited by Slide; January 12th, 2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old January 15th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #10
Tyberious
Commander Keen

good work slide. Any plans for the future such as updates?
Tyberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #11
Slide
Commander Keen

Not really

Well I do but not for a while now, except maybe for a low res pack for those with less powerful graphics cards and fixing a method I developed for turning off fog without a patch.

But in the far distant future:

1024x1024 textures based on 2048x2048 originals.
Update to city skies
Ambient object sounds (torches etc...)
Ambient Stage sounds (wind, wailing)
Scripted effects (little rain maybe needs DED support)
Dynamic lights in the skydome (for sun etc... needs DED support)
Customisations for anything that Skyjake lumps into the Maps.ded really.

New ideas welcome - though remember animated skyboxes are really not on the agenda for now (sorry Sambo).

That all said; Gamedude has come up with a patch that will reduce the glare some people get when using light packs with fog - you don't need this if you're happy with you're current settings or don't use fog.

-Download here-

Last edited by Slide; January 15th, 2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old January 16th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #12
Slide
Commander Keen

Metal-sonics problem with Windows ME is now here
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #13
Grimm
Commander Keen

Hey Slide, is there anywhere I can download the resources without the installer? I like to mix and match.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 04:54 AM   #14
Wicked Anime Kid
Commander Keen

Post Clearing things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide
Scripted effects (little rain maybe needs DED support)
This requires editing in a ded, i have a rain effect somewhere i got from didi. If you are thinking about implenting it i must warn you that this rain is not flawless and will appear incorrect at low ceilings and illusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm
Hey Slide, is there anywhere I can download the resources without the installer? I like to mix and match.
You can just install packages into a seperate folder and edit them manually to fit your key
Wicked Anime Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #15
KuriKai

will the jDEP have coloured levels like red for mars instead of white?
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:47 AM   #16
Slide
Commander Keen

Original Doom never takes place on mars - but funny you should ask about a mars skybox - you been snooping round slidespace?

Quote:
This requires editing in a ded, i have a rain effect somewhere i got from didi. If you are thinking about implenting it i must warn you that this rain is not flawless and will appear incorrect at low ceilings and illusions.
Rain particle effects aren't the problem they've been around for a while now - the issue is applying it to original levels on a map wide basis without editing the map - so basically support needs to be added to the map info - plus ded scripting support is really needed to make the effects realistic.
Old February 12th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #17
XeroTrace AKA sigmst
Commander Keen

slidism, a cult fallowing of slide or new religon(sp?) in other words, good work!
XeroTrace AKA sigmst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #18
DaniJ

Quote:
Rain particle effects aren't the problem they've been around for a while now - the issue is applying it to original levels on a map wide basis without editing the map
This is possible already (simply assign a flat type generator to the FSKY flat). The only problem is that it will appear on every level regardless of the actual sky texture (which is defined in MAP INFO now).
DaniJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #19
Wicked Anime Kid
Commander Keen

yea i don't know why iD made the wad itself very well editable but the flat data is hard to crack/code.
Wicked Anime Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #20
XeroTrace AKA sigmst
Commander Keen

i want rain and snow!
XeroTrace AKA sigmst is offline   Reply With Quote