New Doom Forums  
Importing New Textures and Sprites - New Doom Forums
Go Back   New Doom Forums > NEW DOOM > Editing

Old October 8th, 2001, 09:30 PM   #1
Shotgun

Question Importing New Textures and Sprites

HI! can anyone help me to get new wall textures and sprites into my wad?basically i'm using DeePsea specifically to import stuff but I just can't get my head around it.
I understand that it'll take some explaining but any help much appreciated
Old October 8th, 2001, 10:09 PM   #2
X-DOOM

Deepsea i a little complexe for newbies/new user.
Try WinTex first to be experienced, after try Deepsea. Choose between them !
WinTex is more easier than DeepSea.

------------------
I'll teach you some move during the Deathmatch.
So are you the choosen one who beat me in a Deatchmatch?
I Thinks not, I never lost a DM since the begginning!
But, check my DooM Site here : http://www.newdoom.com/hosted/x-doom and I will not frags you.
Creator of ZD3K
Old October 8th, 2001, 10:15 PM   #3
Shotgun

ok cheers man,i'll check it out.
Old October 8th, 2001, 10:16 PM   #4
mystic

Yeah, I agree. Wintex is a gem of a program. Probably better with a slightly older version (I use 4.3 by Olivier Montanuy)
Some people seem to be having problems with the newer versions.

------------------
Creator of 'The Mummy Phuquers' series of Doom wads.
Creator of 'Wet Phannys' 'Phannies Galore' 'Minge' the 'Grail' series, the 'Mystic' series
also creator of ANDYDM1.WAD (my favourite)

So long and thanks for all the fish
(hitch hikers guide to the galaxy)

http://www.gtroad.net
Old October 8th, 2001, 11:21 PM   #5
Aliotroph?

I got Wintex 4.5 and it seems to work pretty well. It even came with that damnable vbrun300.dll!

------------------
"Killed Aliotroph?"
- obituary from Perfect Dark
Old October 9th, 2001, 05:46 AM   #6
ReX

I love WinTex, but it doesn't work on my Win2000 PC. I still use it on my Win95 PC, but for Win2000 I use an excellent multi-purpose utility called XWE. It is available here. I also use DeePSea, which is another excellent multi-purpose program.

------------------
Pay the Piper, face your DooM.
Old October 9th, 2001, 07:33 AM   #7
Big_al

I've had problems getting WinTex working in W2K as well.
But since I dual boot to W98 to do my editing its not really a problem.
Old October 9th, 2001, 05:19 PM   #8
Doom_Dude

Question

I grabbed this XWE program and what the heck is the damned secret?? The help file blows monkey chunks. Why do people make programs and don't bother to explain how they're used in a readme.

------------------

The Megawad
Deathcore™ is coming!
Gimme a wicked weapon a mean assed monster in a kewl level and an engine that delivers.
Old October 10th, 2001, 01:11 AM   #9
Big_al

The last thing programmers like doing is documentation of any kind.

------------------
Smoke me a kipper... atDoom Heaven
Old October 10th, 2001, 10:10 AM   #10
Doom_Dude

Arrow

Yeah, I sure did notice that and too often. I can't Imagine myself making a program and not taking the time to write a document on how to use the damned thing. Why bother making it in the first place?

Programmers!

------------------

The Megawad
Deathcore™ is coming!
Gimme a wicked weapon a mean assed monster in a kewl level and an engine that delivers.
Old October 10th, 2001, 12:39 PM   #11
The Undertaker

Programmers, yes. I'm still trying to learn their langauge. I learned this much so far.
  • soon=end of month
  • next month=next year
  • tomorrow=sometime between the next 36-48 hours
Old October 12th, 2001, 06:43 AM   #12
ReX

Quote:
I grabbed this XWE program and what the heck is the damned secret?? The help file blows monkey chunks.
Csabo, the creator of XWE, has been meaning to write the help file, but has been flooded with requests for additional features and support for more games. For DooM editing at this time, XWE is best used for lump management -- inserting, deleting, editing hex entries, patches, textures, flats, sprites, sounds, music, etc. Map editing is rudimentary, but he promises to work on it.

Hey, on the plus side -- it's free and it's stable.

------------------

Last edited by Doom_Dude; April 25th, 2004 at 07:27 AM.
Old October 12th, 2001, 08:50 AM   #13
Big_al

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, serif">quote:</font><hr width="100%" size="1" noshade><font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, serif" size="2">I can't Imagine myself making a program and not taking the time to write a document on how to use the damned thing. Why bother making it in the first place?</font><hr width="100%" size="1" noshade></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah, that's not think like a programmer, coding is the fun bit, documentation isn't.
If I wanted to write stories I would have become a novelist.
------------------
Smoke me a kipper... at Doom Heaven
Old October 12th, 2001, 09:17 PM   #14
Doom_Dude

Arrow

Well coders need to wake up and smell the txt files.

------------------

The Megawad
Deathcore & Vilecore Ver2.0 is coming!
Old October 13th, 2001, 04:11 AM   #15
Big_al

Will Never happen.
Old October 13th, 2001, 09:13 AM   #16
Doom_Dude

Wink

I doubt you not Big_al.

WOOT! Success I have! After bumbling around with XWE for the last few hours, I've finally figured out how to get it to make a wad with a new RSKY1 texture. Then I was even able to merge this wad with my map wad. SWHEET! What a kewl, usefull program.... Now if only I can figure out the wall texture problem....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, serif">quote:</font><hr width="100%" size="1" noshade><font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, serif" size="2">Csabo, the creator of XWE, has been meaning to write the help file, but has been flooded with requests for additional features and support for more games. For DooM editing at this time, XWE is best used for lump management -- inserting, deleting, editing hex entries, patches, textures, flats, sprites, sounds, music, etc. Map editing is rudimentary, but he promises to work on it.</font><hr width="100%" size="1" noshade></BLOCKQUOTE>

....and that's what I need it for.....inserting textures and music

------------------

The Megawad
Deathcore & Vilecore Ver2.0 is coming!
Old October 13th, 2001, 02:52 PM   #17
Aliotroph?

I plan to become a coder who can write docs. Programmers usually can't even write in sentences, but since I like my English class I should be fine.

Now if only I could figure out my computer assignment. Their Java class docs can really suck sometimes!

------------------
"Killed Aliotroph?"
- obituary from Perfect Dark
Old October 15th, 2001, 01:27 AM   #18
Big_al

Unfortunately when you do if for a living you don't get the choice not to do documentation, IS9000 and all that non-sense.

Although without it working on multiple projects/ other peoples code would be a nightmare.

------------------
Smoke me a kipper... at Doom Heaven
Old October 15th, 2001, 07:23 AM   #19
ReX

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, serif">quote:</font><hr width="100%" size="1" noshade><font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, serif" size="2">....and that's what I need it for.....inserting textures and music</font><hr width="100%" size="1" noshade></BLOCKQUOTE>See. I tolja the program was good. Btw, if you have any questions about XWE, definitely either post here (I know a little bit about XWE) or email Csabo.

------------------
Old October 15th, 2001, 11:40 AM   #20
deepteam

&gt;&gt;HI! can anyone help me to get new wall textures and sprites into my wad?basically i'm using DeePsea specifically to import stuff but I just can't get my head around it.
I understand that it'll take some explaining but any help much appreciated&lt;&lt;

Well, seeing that nobody actually explained, let's give it a shot.

The first thing is that one should understand what the "rules" are, just like one had to learn how to edit. DeePsea has a boatload of docs starting with "Graphics.." in the online help. So review all about TEXTUREx and PNAMES, what they do and read about SPRITES and the possible limitations.

Most DeePsea defaults are geared towards the newer ports. Change the defaults from MIDI to MUS and WAV TO SND if you are creating a level for stock DOOM. This determines the format MID and WAV are automatically converted to when imported.

Wall textures can be done 2 ways. One is super simple (much simpler than Wintex or anything else) and the other gives you detailed control over any aspect.

First the simple one, press F7, click "AUTO Textures from BMPs". Now select all the BMPs you want to make into textures at one time. The BMP name is used to create both the texture and the patch name. The size given is used for the size of the texture (limits set in BMP size options). You can change the name(s) in the dialog.

Save this as some PWAD - you have just created everything required for new textures.

Now merge this PWAD with your pwad using the F7 Import tool.

A more detailed texture creation tool is F7, TEXTUREx Name Edit. This deals with the nitty gritty of Textures, such as the size, the patches and all that. Review the docs. Again you save this and then merge THIS file and ALL the patches you made with you PWAD.

The general import tool imports ANYTHING, regardless of name and converts BMPs to DOOM format graphics. Whether they are sprites or whatever is up to you. So again, the user has to know what he is creating and in that sense DeePsea expects you to read the docs

You are responsible for adding control information such as FF_START, FF_END, F_END and so on. Sprites are a bit trickier and depend on what game you are using, stock DOOM or a port. The easiest way to see the basic control names is to download DEEPATAK (stock DOOM) or KABOOM (most newer ports) from www.sbsoftware.com You'll see new sprites, sounds, music, textures and flats in the latter.

Many other levels have the same mods. So just look at them and see - very easy to do in DeePsea.

The F7/Rename-Ins-Del-Move tool is great for inspecting a PWAD and also for editing the content of a PWAD. You can rearrange, add control information, rename and delete existing lump names. It checks for duplicates (a lot of PWADs have duplicate entries because the tool used did not check for this).