New Doom Forums  
Knee Deep in Phobos Complete! - New Doom Forums
Go Back   New Doom Forums > NEW DOOM > Map Reviews

Old April 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Sniper 109
Commander Keen

Knee Deep in Phobos Complete!

Well I'm proud to announce that KDiP.wad (Knee Deep in Phobos) is done. I've been working on this wad since late September and now its 100% complete. This wad is like KDiZD only without the KDiZD, Sorta like splenda Tastes like sugar looks like sugar but theres no sugar in it.
video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ADm...e=channel_page
Download below and have fun!
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/KDiP.zip[/quote]
Hope you enjoy the wad
Please Give my wad a score out of 10 and reasonable criticism.
Sniper 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Potnop
Commander Keen

Well I played it. I'd give it an 8.5/10

It was pretty interesting at times but there were some odd problems. The architecture and stuff was all nice and skillfully made but why were there like no secret areas marked? I've clearly found some areas that were secret. There was only 1 level I think that actually had them since I saw in automap it said there were 5 secrets.

Also the weapon animations seemed to have been modified to have the muzzle flash frame appear for only 1 game tick. That makes no sense to me since it needlessly changed the animations and I wouldn't say it was for the better or anything.

What was the point of the machine gun. It seemed to behave exactly like the chaingun except its recoil wasn't in that straight line pattern. Once I got the chaingun I never used the machine gun since they used the same ammo and the machine gun sounded super lame. IDK why but in Wolf 3D that sound fits, but definitely not in Doom heh. Also the Rifle sound used the same sound effect which was weird...

There were a lot of switch hunts to open random doors and then backtracking to figure out what was opened. At one point it opened a vent or something which was very unnoticeable.

On Phobos Anomaly there was one area where I was fighting a Cacodemon and a Pain Elemental outside through a window. The linedef for the window was impassable so the lost souls launched by the pain elemental couldn't even get to me.

The Rifle and Boxes of Rifle ammo looked too much like shotguns. I could only tell I picked up the rilfe or rifle ammo by suddenly noticing the ammo for it went up. Usually people familiarize themselves with some graphic and after a while simply notice the sillhouette to know what it is. So the boxes of shotgun ammo looked exactly like boxes of rifle ammo. I never did notice whether or not it actually had a different label or something...

Also this was clearly a Zdoom map set. I saw features that could only be used by Zdoom like colored fog sectors and the fact that the game was modified without a dehacked patch. In the readme it says best played with Zdoom but I'm sure it can only be played with Zdoom. This also makes me wonder why more Zdoom features weren't used, such as slopes...
Potnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Sniper 109
Commander Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potnop View Post
Well I played it. I'd give it an 8.5/10

It was pretty interesting at times but there were some odd problems. The architecture and stuff was all nice and skillfully made but why were there like no secret areas marked? I've clearly found some areas that were secret. There was only 1 level I think that actually had them since I saw in automap it said there were 5 secrets.

Also the weapon animations seemed to have been modified to have the muzzle flash frame appear for only 1 game tick. That makes no sense to me since it needlessly changed the animations and I wouldn't say it was for the better or anything.

What was the point of the machine gun. It seemed to behave exactly like the chaingun except its recoil wasn't in that straight line pattern. Once I got the chaingun I never used the machine gun since they used the same ammo and the machine gun sounded super lame. IDK why but in Wolf 3D that sound fits, but definitely not in Doom heh. Also the Rifle sound used the same sound effect which was weird...

There were a lot of switch hunts to open random doors and then backtracking to figure out what was opened. At one point it opened a vent or something which was very unnoticeable.

On Phobos Anomaly there was one area where I was fighting a Cacodemon and a Pain Elemental outside through a window. The linedef for the window was impassable so the lost souls launched by the pain elemental couldn't even get to me.

The Rifle and Boxes of Rifle ammo looked too much like shotguns. I could only tell I picked up the rilfe or rifle ammo by suddenly noticing the ammo for it went up. Usually people familiarize themselves with some graphic and after a while simply notice the sillhouette to know what it is. So the boxes of shotgun ammo looked exactly like boxes of rifle ammo. I never did notice whether or not it actually had a different label or something...

Also this was clearly a Zdoom map set. I saw features that could only be used by Zdoom like colored fog sectors and the fact that the game was modified without a dehacked patch. In the readme it says best played with Zdoom but I'm sure it can only be played with Zdoom. This also makes me wonder why more Zdoom features weren't used, such as slopes...
You're wrong this isn't a zdoom specific mapset. The colored fog sectors were done with "Outside fog" used in the mapinfo. The actual maps were made in doom2 format. The dehacked is inside the wad. The only reason I have a decorate, is for special effects (imp fireball trails.) This wad is 100% compatible with prboom.
As for the other issues, I''ve made a secondairy patch for it.
Sniper 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #4
htedagem
Commander Keen

I give it a 10/10. The architecture and design from room to room was fresh and still maintained the classic Doom feel, also the addition of new weapons and changed gun animations were refreshing and I consider them an improvement. I was also really happy the levels weren't riddled with secrets, when I play Doom I feel like mass killing, not checking walls for secret doors and bullshit like that.
htedagem is offline   Reply With Quote