New Doom Forums  
New Doom Forums - View Single Post - OBLIGE level maker
View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #43
Ajapted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazza
I noticed one other (small?) thing you might like to change. In some maps there is a fairly long linedef 0, which as I understand it can make an intercepts overflow more likely (I think due to the way it was handled during blockmap generation, or something to do with that). In any case, I did get an intercepts overflow when playing an Oblige map (I think it was map02 of Seed 6503, Doom2, Single Player, One Episode).
I looked briefly at the Doom source and think I see the problem: linedef #0 is always in every block of the blockmap, and each block tested in a trace will check if that line crosses the whole trace, so if it crosses once it will be added multiple times, one for every block along the trace, upto a limit of 64 times (where the intercept limit is 128).

So it makes sense to ensure linedef #0 is as short as possible, which I've fixed in Oblige (the longest it can be now is 64 units).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliotroph?
It would be cool if the concept of "theme" was extended to architecture so we could define stuff that could be built to go in a theme. This would work to inhibit that little trick it has where it just does everything everywhere.
Yeah something like that is needed, for example: the overall level-theme might be "Space Station", then it selects room-themes that fit this (like the STARTAN3 base theme etc), as well as suitable architecture and scenery items (lots of lamps and lights-in-walls, don't use sky-holes in the ceiling), and it could affect monster probabilities too (more humanoids).
Ajapted is offline   Reply With Quote