View Full Version : Problem with an Error while changing Maps
February 15th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Hi i build some Maps for a Hexen Episode. While changing Maps back and forward in 5 of my maps is no problem..i get an error in another Map.
When i enter this Map the first time there is no problem at all.
But when i go back to the map from before and then enter the new Map again i get an error: Segmentation Violation.
Map 10 (10): STAEHLERNE ZUFLUCHT
Map 8 (8): UNTERIRDISCHER FLUSS
Map 10 (10): STAEHLERNE ZUFLUCHT
Thats what the Doomsday.out Editor says
I am really wondering because when you enter the map the first time there is no problem ..it only comes when you enter it the second time.
February 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Are you saying this happens every time using this method? If so then it could be related to a bug I've been trying to track down for a while now. I thought it only effected jDoom but this might shed some light on it...
Can you post your map so others can try it?
February 15th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Yes it happens every time i use the Method. I even Changed the Map numbers but it always happens and only with this map when you enter it the second time.
I cant post the map here but i can send you an e-mail with it
February 16th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Hey Dani, I got a seg. error with a wad on map02 only on Vermil's project using 1.8.6. Then it disappeared when getting an updated wad from him. We think it was related to the date of new wad and the older glBSP data from older wad. The new wad forced a renewal of the glbsp data and the seg. error disappeared. Wonder if that info might help in some way?
Could the version of glBSP being used now be causing problems? I don't know which version it is in 1.8.6, BTW, the glBSP website (http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/) says v2.10 Sept. 27, 2004.
Edit: checking furthur into the bug list (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php) for glBSP it seems that 2.10 might have been released to fix what sounds like what we are getting.
It looks like skyjake is using 2.00 or maybe 2.05 which, BTW, seemed to have some bugs in it too, from reading the Beginner.txt.
If he is, how can we work around the automated runthrough and use the latest version instead until he incorporates the 2.10?
February 16th, 2005, 06:13 AM
I'm not so sure the glnode data is to blame but it's possible. One thing you can try is setting bsp-build 0 in the console, that will stop Doomsday automatically generating the gl data (remember to flush your cached gwa files under run/jdoom though)
ATM Doomsday's map loader plugin uses glBSP 1.96
Don't forget we were using 2.10 but we all reported to Skyjake before he created the map loader plugin that 1.96 worked better (less holes, better sector trick support). However I must agree that I've only started experiencing these seg violations since around the time this was added.
I don't know what the status is on the development of the maploader. I don't know if Skyjake plans to update it again soon.
Personaly I would like to see an update, making it (& Doomsday) compatible with the new V3 glnodes format.
I did download the source for the latest glBSP around two months ago but other than an hour or so scaning the code to get a rough idea how it works I've done nothing with it. I doubt I'll have the time to either, at least not for a while anyway. Saying that, there doesn't appear to be a huge amount different to the 'current' 1.9.6 but glBSP is a very fine tuned code base and without knowing exactly what is going on in there, I'm very reluctant to start messing with it.
February 16th, 2005, 07:43 AM
i tried setting bsp-build to 0 but didnt work same error comes..just that there is no bsp build action in the doomsday-out
vBulletin® v3.8.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.